[windows2000] Re: NTDETECT Fails

  • From: "Sorin Srbu" <Sorin.Srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 08:47:07 +0200

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 08:41:46 -0700, Jennifer Hooper wrote:

>I have NO idea.  This server is a dino that hasn't been touched in 2+ years.
>I would like to try taking drives out of it, but I don't have anywhere to
>put them.  I'm gonna see what I can come up with...  We have no spares
>anywhere (yet)... Well, unless I want to drive to Poway and pull 'em out of
>storage... May be my only option.
>
>I can see the drives in Fdisk, the SCSI utils, and they are detected on
>boot.  But I get invalid drive specification when trying to access it.  I'm
>going to actually try making some NT4 boot disks if I can't get too much
>further.  *SIGH*  Just to prove to myself that the drive(s) are dead.

Over the years I've to appreciate those external plastic boxes you
can install a 5,25" or 3,5" drive in it (complete with a built-in
PSU) and then attach a usb-cable to it and plug it into almost any
computer available with usb-capabilities to test it, or save data
from it.

I have two boxes, one for scsi and one for ide-drives. The scsi-box
is based on an old legacy 2x scsi cdrom I slaughtered and put a 9GB
scsi hd in it. For the connection to a computer for testing I
bought an adaptec usb-exchange, that converts scsi to usb1. Nifty,
if I might say so. The other box is a usb2-capable external than
handles the ide-drives. Both were cheap compared to their
usability.

You might want to look into this for future purposes, since you
don't actually have to dissasemble a working computer to install
and test any failing hd or whatever storage.

The adaptec solution:
>http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/product/proddetail.html?sess=no&language=English+US&cat=%2FProducts%2FUSBXchange&prodkey=USBXchange

The ide solution (in swedish, but you get an idea what's it all
about):
>http://www.dustin.se/default.asp?ORIGIN=Shopping/ProductDetail.asp?PID=5010048478

HTH.

BW,

Sorin

# Sorin Srbu, Systems Engineer          Web: http://www.farmfak.uu.se/organisk/
# Dept of Medicinal Chemistry,          Phone: +46 (0)18-4714482 >> 5 signals
>> GSM
# Div of Org Pharm Chem,                        Mobile Phone: +46 (0)701-718023
# BMC, Box 574, Uppsala University              Fax: +46 (0)18-4714474
# SE-751 23 Uppsala, Sweden             Visit: BMC, Husargatan 3, D5:512b
#
# Public PGP key available on request.
#
# ()  ascii ribbon campaign - against html e-mail
# /\
#
#
# Harmless tagline follows:
#
# A child of five could understand this! Fetch me a child of five.