[windows2000] Re: Linux to windows

  • From: "Charles R. Buchanan" <daphatbell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 05:15:38 -0700

In theory, this shouldn't happen! :-)  Then again, I have never
installed Windows AFTER Linux. It has always been the opposite. The only
thing I can think of that is happening is that the drive is formatted in
ext2 or ext3, but Windows install  still "should" see the partition(s).
What also could be in play is that little 8mb of space that is required
at the end of the drive in order for Windows to install as well.

Just some WAG's on why this happens. <shrug>  As far as wiping software,
never use them. I usually use partition magic, delete everything
(partitions) on the drive and move along. :-D It has a secure function
and ask if I want it to do that, but I usually don't have time to wait
for it to do that, plus, I'm not all concerned about what's on the drive
anyway. <shrug>

On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 12:14:33 +0100, "Sorin Srbu" <sorin.srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
took time to say the following:

> Hi all,
>
> When I install windows on a computer that has previously had linux installed,
> the setup program I boot from a cd, just blanks, ie nothing happens. All I see
> is that the computer boots from the win-cd and writes "setup is examining your
> configuration yadda-yadda-yadda" and then the screen goes blank.
>
> The solution has so far been to wipe the disk entirely and then try to install
> windows again. This usually works.
>
> So far I've been using dban <<<http://dban.sourceforge.net/>, to wipe the
> disk(s) involved. However, even the quick-wipe in dban takes like 2hrs to wipe
> a 80G hd... I don't always have that time available. 8-/
>
> Two questions thus:
>
> 1. What does linux do to a disk, so that windows cannot install properly?
>
> 2. What wiping software do you use that is *fast*, and I mean really fast, and
> free? Suggestions are welcome!

When a computer dies, does it see a blue screen?