[windows2000] Re: Linux to windows

  • From: "Jim Kenzig ThinHelp.com" <jkenzig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 10:14:10 -0400

It blows up the MBR and dos partitions.   Try just doing an FDISK /MBR and
then run FDISK again and repartition.
Jim

On 3/22/07, Sorin Srbu <sorin.srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi all,

When I install windows on a computer that has previously had linux
installed,
the setup program I boot from a cd, just blanks, ie nothing happens. All I
see
is that the computer boots from the win-cd and writes "setup is examining
your
configuration yadda-yadda-yadda" and then the screen goes blank.

The solution has so far been to wipe the disk entirely and then try to
install
windows again. This usually works.

So far I've been using dban <<<http://dban.sourceforge.net/>, to wipe the
disk(s) involved. However, even the quick-wipe in dban takes like 2hrs to
wipe
a 80G hd... I don't always have that time available. 8-/

Two questions thus:

1. What does linux do to a disk, so that windows cannot install properly?

2. What wiping software do you use that is *fast*, and I mean really fast,
and
free? Suggestions are welcome!

TIA.

BW,

Sorin

# Sorin Srbu, Systems Engineer  Web: http://www.orgfarm.uu.se
# Dept of Medicinal Chemistry,  Phone: +46 (0)18-4714482 >3 signals> GSM
# Div of Org Pharm Chem,                Mobile: +46 (0)701-718023
# Box 574, Uppsala University,  Fax: +46 (0)18-4714482
# SE-751 23 Uppsala, Sweden     Visit: BMC, Husargatan 3, D5:512b
#
# ()  ASCII ribbon campaign - Against html E-mail
# /\
#
# Harmless tagline follows:
#
# Each new user of a new system uncovers a new class of bugs. -Kernighan.

Jim Kenzig
Microsoft MVP - Terminal Services
http://www.thinhelp.com
Citrix Technology Professional