[windows2000] Re: Upgrading AD to W2K3 - problem

  • From: "Angus Macdonald" <Angus.Macdonald@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 12:16:02 -0000

I'm a big fan of virtual machines but in this case I did it this way for
recoverability - in the event of a problem I can easily restore the machine to
its' previous state, as I had to several times.

Having said that, I've run all my legacy NT4 DCs and one of my AD DCs as
virtual servers for years with no issues. Once a server is a couple of years
old, recovering it in the event of trouble can be difficult as original
hardware may no longer be available. VMs solve that one. I'll be keeping one
W2K3 DC virtual for the same reason. It's an excellent safety net and in our
environment the performance hit is negligible. Of course, running it on a Quad
Xeon box with 16GB of RAM helps.