[windows2000] Re: Home router recommendations

  • From: "Timothy R. Mangan" <tmangan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2007 17:10:46 -0400

After ignoring this series of posts I ended up in the market for a new home
firewall/router myself.  Seemed like the old one was dying (turned out to be
the ISP after all).  The old one was a wired router, and I had another
wireless router in place (acting more as a wireless bridge), but it had
issues with wireless dropouts.  So I decided to kill 2 birds with one stone.
Being cheap with my own money, I went to the going out of business sale at
the local CompUSA.  I decided to try to go low end and have been
disappointed.

The TrendNet router it seems doesn't like VMWare or MS Virtual Server
machines.  Ultimately, I had to disable the DHCP server function because it
doesn't like two IP addresses from the same MAC.  The old Netgear had no
issue with this.  Once I found out the ISP had an issue, I put the Netgear
back on the LAN and disabled the DHCP server function of the  TrendNet and
my duplicate IP address problems went away.  I decided to leave the TrendNet
as the firewall as it is far more manageable than the 6 year old Netgear
(for example, for some reason the Vista version of IE7 can't talk http to
it, while other Oss work fine).  So if you use virtual machines, consider a
better router.  I might just go back to the sale and get a higher end
firewall, but not until they give more than 20% off.