[wdmaudiodev] Re: Vista: multichannel playback

  • From: uwe kirst <u.kirst@xxxxxx>
  • To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 18:46:28 +0100

Hello Mitch,

Hello Philip,

I managed to implement _PIN_PROPOSEDATAFORMAT now.
I accept dwChannelMask = 0 or KSAUDIO_SPEAKER_5POINT1 or KSAUDIO_SPEAKER_7POINT1.
This is what I observe:
-the speaker setup shows the 7.1 format (before it showed 5.1 only).
-on the advanced page there are more formats available, including 6 channel and 8 channel formats. -pressing the test button results in a playback of 8 channels or 6 channels :-)

-But the 6-channel test file still can not be played through the line outputs :-(
-The same for the 8-channel test file and the speakers :-(

I'm getting the message "An audio codec is needed to play this file.."

any ideas?
thanks,
/Uwe

Mitchell Rundle wrote:

I'm afraid I need to retract the second paragraph of that last reply.

To make multichannel work with Line Out, just make your handlers for _DATAINTERSECTION
and _PROPOSEDATAFORMAT (if you have one) accept formats with WAVEFORMATEXTENSIBLE::
dwChannelMask = 0.  You can set the number of channels in the "Advanced" page
of the endpoint properties in mmsys.cpl along with the samplerate and bit-depth.

Regards,
Mitch