[wdmaudiodev] Multichannel test playback in Win10

  • From: Eugene Muzychenko <eugene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2015 23:58:27 +0600

Hello!

In Vista, Win7/8/8.1, my driver successfully allows multichannel (up
to 8) test tone playback (the "Test" button in the "Advanced" tab of
audio endpoint properties).

But in Win10 (10.0.10240) most test playbacks fail with "Failed to
play test tone" message.

From driver's log, I see that a stream with a proper (6 or 8) channels
is successfully created, then its state changed from STOP to ACQUIRE,
then to PAUSE, then back to ACQUIRE and finally to STOP, and the
stream is released. No data are submitted for playback.

Is it due my driver problem, or due to Win10 problem?

After stream creation and termination, some property requests are
issued. In particular, KSPROPERTY_PIN_PROPOSEDATAFORMAT is issued,
with KSDATAFORMAT_SUBTYPE_PCM and KSDATAFORMAT_SPECIFIER_WAVEFORMATEX,
but FormatSize is 64 while sizeof (KSDATAFORMAT_WAVEFORMATEX) is 82.

What could such request mean? How to interpret
KSDATAFORMAT_SPECIFIER_WAVEFORMATEX with FormatSize equal to 64? Now
my driver fails these request with STATUS_NO_MATCH.

KSPROPERTY_PIN_PROPOSEDATAFORMAT tests in gaudit from WLK 1.6.8367
show no errors.

Regards,
Eugene