[wdmaudiodev] Re: Device neutral GFX

  • From: Tim Roberts <timr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2010 11:15:01 -0800

Robert Bielik wrote:
> Frank Yerrace skrev:
>> There is no supported mechanism for this. The driver developer
>> controls what system effects APOs are installed on the hardware.
>
> Ok, but what about this:
> http://blogs.msdn.com/larryosterman/archive/2006/03/07/545451.aspx
>
> I pretty much want to stick the APO in place of APO3 in the diagram
> above. That should not be specific
> to any particular audio hardware, should it ?

Architecturally and technically speaking, no.  However, the official
Microsoft philosophy is that APOs are an extension of the hardware.
They are installed and considered part of the driver.

It is POSSIBLE to install your own non-hardware-related APO, with
difficulty, but it is always dangerous to swim upstream against the
official policy, and your clients will not be able to get official
support when they have problems.