[wdmaudiodev] Re: Device neutral GFX

  • From: Robert Bielik <robert.bielik@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2010 13:18:17 +0100

Ok, so in "theory", would it be possible to: Register my APO (adding
appropriate registry keys under .../AudioEngine/AudioProcessingObjects etc.), then have a
utility enumerate the logical audio devices, and add my GFX APO under
.../DeviceParameters/FX/N/#PostMix for each selected device? (the utility would then be
needed if a new audio device is added, or a USB audio device is moved to another USB port)

Then theoretically the APO should be instanciated for the given devices, no? (given of course that the APO is signed, which then of course is a matter on its own...)

Given the constraint that APOs needs to be signed (through WHQL), I fail to see
the logic to limit the possibility to install a GFX APO only to a specific hw
device. I can immediately see the benefit businesswise to
let ISVs be able to create/distribute/sell custom GFX APOs that are universal
to the audio subsystem.

How does it work for the system supplied APOs? Are each IHV required to add an entry in
the .INF to enable them? I've searched all .INF in my system and none mentions
WMALFXGFXDSP.DLL and yet there is an entry in the registry that links to the system APOs.
Is this "automagically" done by Windows upon installing an audio driver?

TIA
/Rob