[wdmaudiodev] Re: A custom endpoint name for the output device in Vista

  • From: Mitchell Rundle <mitchr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Hakon Strande <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2007 11:59:52 -0800

Speaker endpoints are hardcoded to be "Speakers" because there were so many
devices with speaker bridge pin friendly names like "volume control" or "master
volume" etc. which made no sense at all as a device name.  It was something
that we didn't want to do but it fixed a common problem across a lot of legacy
devices.

You are correct that we had to make some suboptimal design choices to
accommodate the simple devices which comprise the vast majority of hardware.

Regards,
Mitch