[wdmaudiodev] Re: A custom endpoint name for the output device in Vista

  • From: Eugene Muzychenko <emuzychenko@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Jeff Pages <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 09:34:14 +0600

Hello Jeff!

> I noticed the problem with the Default Format options being greyed out for a
> KSNODETYPE_LINE_CONNECTOR endpoint in Vista RC2, but that's been fixed in
> the RTM version.

Thank you, I will try the RTM version soon.

> I also noticed that KSNODETYPE_SPEAKER endpoints are always called Speakers,
> and I suspect this might be a "feature" as it's persisted into RTM, but our
> cards only have line connector outputs anyway so that wasn't an issue for
> us.

AFAIK most cards don't have separate line and speaker outputs like old
Sound Blaster cards. So I'm afraid that some applications will look
for "speaker" endpoint by default, as MSN Messenger specially looks
for the Microphone input (or the Microphone mixer line in earlier
versions).

It's very sad that Vista, being quite logical in endpoint conception,
is very illogical in their naming :(

Regards,
Eugene