[visionrehabtherapist] Re: TVIs as VRTs

  • From: Sarah Bussey <sarahdbussey@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "guidinggolden@xxxxxxxxx" <guidinggolden@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 22:12:54 -0400

Good Evening,

Prior to receiving a Masters in VRT, I was hired at an agency as a TVI to
cover Communications and ADL. There was a CVRT on staff who advised when
needed. I had ADL training in my undergraduate program and felt very
comfortable teaching ADL because I worked on these skills with children
(ADL is part of the Expanded core curriculum).

Where I felt I was lacking was adult development and the information needed
to appropriately support adults through adjustment.....it is very different
from children. I was working with adults while completing my Masters and
found it extremely helpful to have the classes focusing in these areas.

I feel as long as a CVRT is available to advise the TVI in areas needed,
then we have professionals who have a VISION background and can learn new
skills specifically related to adults. Should TVI's be able to take the VRT
exam and become a CVRT, I say no. There is too much to be learned from a
VRT program regarding the intricacies of working with adults.

Great Discussion!
Sarah D. Bussey
COMS, CVRT, CTVI

Check out my classroom projects!