(VICT) Re: training success

  • From: "Diane & Raven" <dlshotwell2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 20:57:50 -0500

>>I know this is a small thing but honestly I am proud of my old lady.<<
Oh gosh not a small thing at all...
Congrats to both of you... it gives me goose bumps to read it...
I am a cross over trainer of about 30 some years... I keep in my prayers at
night an apology to all those I could not share this wonderful positive
reinforcement method with... How I know they would have bloomed without
limits... sigh... but you can not do...now....
I have a cross over dog that lost most of his sight about 5 years ago.  He is
such a love...but positive reinforcement is difficult concept for him
understand.  And I was gentle trainer even using the older methods.  But he
never learned to offer.  He was taught to look to me for his decisions.

Each time I see him make a small step forward in offering behaviors it makes me
cry... and the lightness in his movements increase with each success.  He now
offers a bow, a retrieve, beings his bowl, brings his leash, and will kiss me
on the nose and walk to where his leash is hung when he would like to go for a
short walk.  smile....

You did wonderfully, I am so happy for you and I think this will be a nice
break though for you that will encourage more.  I know with my "Lad" watching
me work with the others dogs really helped him and now he even joins in from
time to time when I am shaping a behavior. All my dogs love shaping... he is a
lot slower at it but it makes my heart sing to watch him try so hard to think
of some small movement, target or look to make me click him...

Gosh I love these wonderful creatures and to be able to find a gentle and
loving way to communicate with them...

Have I repeated lately that I love clicker training....giggle...

Thank you for sharing this with us....
Best Wishes & Wags,
Diane & Raven
APDT#72225
http://AssistanceDogJournal.net
"My Assistance Dog is not my whole life, but she makes my life
whole"~D.L.Shotwell