(VICT) Re: Our Latest Adventure: Things I am Still Learning

  • From: "Gisele Mesnage" <gisele@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 10:50:11 +1000

Hello Tami, thank you.  I'm following the conversation re positive versus
negative techniques with a lot of interest,and I'm finding that much of what is
being said echoes my own observations during the past seven months that I have
had my dog, Katie.  Re people who interfere, I have heard it from both sides,
that is, from those who say that I need to be stricter with my dog, and from
those who think it's harsh of me to stop my dog from jumping on the sofa, for
example.  In one recent incident, Katie had failed to indicate an up kerb,
causing me to trip.  I did what I always do when she does not guide properly, I
went back a few steps and made her repeat the task. Generally, she does it
right the second time, and this correction is usually enough to stop her doing
the same again another time. And so it was that on that occasion, Katie
indicated the up kerb after I made her do it again.  Well, this woman bystander
who, unbeknownst  to me, had  been watching us, called out "Poor dog".  I
should not let comments like that get to me, but they do.
I was particularly interested in what you said about your dog reacting badly to
negative corrections.  Yesterday, we were out with the same instructor who has
been saying that I don't correct my dog firmly enough.  Katie was behaving
quite badly, sniffing a lot and looking around. Anxious to appear to be "doing
something", as you say, I kept checking her leash.  The instructor said it was
good that I was not letting Katie get away with anything, but then he added
that the problem was that having to correct the dog all the time like this
would harden the dog, and she would become more and more difficult to handle. I
should really have said something to him at that point, but I just kept walking
on.

Cheers,
Gisele
gisele@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx