(VICT) Re: Our Latest Adventure: Things I am Still Learning

  • From: "Gisele Mesnage" <gisele@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 13:49:45 +1000

Hello Karyn,

Well, I too would like to join An and others in saying how impressed and
inspired I was when I read your posts re your latest exploits with Thane.
It would be hard enough to contemplate doing what you did without sight, but
to think you are also deaf and have other health problems, leaves me in awe.
And you recount your journey so vividly, it's as though I was right there,
though I live in far away Sydney, Australia.

I think you are very courageous, and I have to say that I am also very
impressed by Thane.  The team bond and working relationship you have
achieved is exemplary.

I was interested to read your comments and those from Ann about corrections.
Although the importance of "positive reward" was emphasised in my draining
with my guide dog, Katie, I keep being told I'm not correcting the dog
firmly enough.  I'll give you an example.  Coming out of a park with my dog,
observed by an instructor, Katie started going up some steps without pausing
on the first step.  I drew her back and made her do it again, and this time
she paused on the first step.  I said "good girl" and we continued on our
way. My instructor said I should have given her a hard check with the lead
too.  I didn't say anything, but felt that it would have been unnecessary in
that situation, given Katie does not usually rush up steps.  The next day,
we returned to the same park, with the instructor observing.  I was so
delighted when Katie paused at the first step on our way out...I wanted to
tell my instructor, "See, she did it, though I didn't give her that hard
check with the lead yesterday".

Anyway, just want to send you both my very best wishes for your ongoing work
and adventures.

Cheers,
Gisele

gisele@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx