(VICT) Re: Resuming work after a break

  • From: "DIANNE B. PHELPS AND PRIMROSE" <d.bphelps@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 16:44:50 -0700

I thought I would chime in here because I now have a clicker-trained dog who
has also been very positively trained, and it strikes me that when we handle
them this way, they are reassured when in more stressful situations. There
are times when Hibiscus will stop as if she is not sure she is doing right
or, perhaps, she isn't quite sure we are headed quite right. When I check my
heading with her or keep it definite for her and simply reasure her with a
"hop up" command and tell her she is ok, she works through it all. It is
when we push too hard and become too demanding, I think, that they lose that
confidence.

I simply can't get over how much easier Hibiscus is to work. I never have to
correct her.

I had her back up for a missed shrub hanging out. I showed it to her; asked
her to be careful; backed her up; and she reworked it beautifully.

I just think this method is much more reasuring to the dog than the old
heavy corrective methods we used in past years.

I love reading everyone's posts and learn a good bit from all of your
experiences. My most recent dog, Hibiscus, has been with me at home for
about four months and is doing incredibly. We hit a bump early on, but I
believe I was trying to do too much too fast. We backed off a bit, tightened
up on a few of my issues, and she has progressed beautifully into being one
incredible dog who feels totally like mine already. I think she is a happy
dog too, and she and Primmy are doing beautifully together.

Warmest regards to all of you even though we don't post often. Our thoughts
are with you, and I am reading your posts.

Dianne, Hibiscus, and Primrose