[va-richmond-general] Re: Hummingbirds

  • From: Ann Brooks <acdbrooks@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: digitalnature@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 14:28:28 -0400

Yes, off a second floor deck. I assumed raccoons, too. At one point, I did not have a bee guard on one port and I wondered about bats, but I don't think we have nectar bats here.

ANN
On Aug 28, 2006, at 1:52 PM, Robert Coles wrote:

On one June morning we noticed that the hummingbird feeder was not hanging from the deck, but was on the floor of the deck and was taken apart and empty. So I duck taped it to the pole, the next morning the metal rod the screws into the feeder was still hanging on the pole, thanks to the duck tape, but the feeder had been unscrewed and was on the ground below the deck. Since then we have been bring in the feeder each night. When do leave it out it get hit about 50% of the time. So, what was removing the feeder during the night and eating the juice? We don't know but think it has to be a raccoon. This the first year we have had this problem. We recently added a second feeder that they have not yet attacked.

Have other had this problem?

Bob
Robert Coles
digitalnature@xxxxxxxxxxxxx