[va-richmond-general] Hummingbirds

  • From: Robert Coles <digitalnature@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 13:53:37 -0400

Our last bird, a female, was last seen on Friday (9/29/06) The exact departure time, destination and time of arrival are unknown. It appeared to us that the males left about 10-days earlier. We tried to test the idea that there were about 10 times the number of birds in the yard than what you see at the feeder. So, we put up a second feeder in late July, but the maximum number we saw at any one time was still four birds. Our first hummer of the year was observed on tax day, April 15th. Over the last ten years the first observation has been between 4/7 to 4/27. The latest observation was 11/24/01, and it was a RTHU.
Bob
Robert Coles
Montpelier, Hanover County, VA
digitalnature@xxxxxxxxxxxxx