[uae] Re: Source code snapshot 20060505

  • From: Richard Drummond <evilrich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 May 2006 21:23:49 -0400

Hi Steve

On Monday 08 May 2006 18:09, Stephen Anthony wrote:
> Most 2.6.x kernels had a timeslice frequency of 1000Hz, meaning a
> granularity of 1ms (whereas 2.4 kernels it was 100Hz/10ms).  The very
> latest 2.6 kernels have increased the frequency to 250Hz, which is a
> 4ms granularity.

I must have missed that change (I don't have much time for mucking about with
kernel these days).

> That might have been enough to cause a difference.
> This is all configurable in the kernel, of course, but it now defaults
> to 250Hz.

That indeed might explain the noticeably poorer audio performance with SDL
now. I still think some smarter code might help: I don't want to have force
people to build their own kernels just to get reasonable performance.