[uae] Re: Source code snapshot 20060505

  • From: Stephen Anthony <stephena@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 May 2006 19:39:54 -0230

On Monday 08 May 2006 19:50, Richard Drummond wrote:

> I've recently noticed that the performance of the SDL sound driver
> has gotten a lot worse with the latest 2.6 kernels and E-UAE is
> hogging the CPU (due to one of the cases above).  Using the OSS or
> ALSA drivers here leads to much better performance.

Most 2.6.x kernels had a timeslice frequency of 1000Hz, meaning a
granularity of 1ms (whereas 2.4 kernels it was 100Hz/10ms).  The very
latest 2.6 kernels have increased the frequency to 250Hz, which is a
4ms granularity.  That might have been enough to cause a difference.
This is all configurable in the kernel, of course, but it now defaults
to 250Hz.

Steve