[uae] Re: How to get these characters on a PC keyboard under UAE

  • From: Martin Steigerwald <Martin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 13:17:48 +0200

Am Samstag, 11. September 2004 08:47 schrieb Richard Drummond:
> Hi Martin
>
> On Friday 10 September 2004 11:38 am, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > We talkes about that "#" thingy and I think we concluded that if UAE
> > pretents to the emulated AmigaOS that it has a Amiga keyboard not
> > getting "#" right with the Amiga variant of a german keyboard should
> > be fixed in UAE.
> >
> > This is the keycode in question:
> >
> > KeyRelease event, serial 28, synthetic NO, window 0x3600001,
> >     root 0x3b, subw 0x0, time 2164449, (-303,-57), root:(493,479),
> >     state 0x0, keycode 51 (keysym 0x23, numbersign), same_screen YES,
> >     XLookupString gives 1 bytes:  "#"
>
> Interesting. Keycode 51 is also produced by the backslash key.

Hello Rich,

not on a german keyboard. The backslah on a german PC keyboard is at AltGr
(right Alt) and the key next to the "0" labeled "? ß \" with keycode 20.

> Like the Mac keyboard problem reported by various people earlier, this
> one comes under the heading of things I'm not going to fix right now
> (since it would require significant changes).

I found another problem when using a "d" keymap instead of the "d_pc" one:
The @ character is not on AltGr Q like where its supposed to be according
to the key labels on my ThinkPad keyboard. I did not found where it
should be. So unless I am writing an Amiga magazine article I guess I
will use "d_pc" instead of "d".

Maybe its easier to fix just the "#" key and use the "d_pc" keyboard
instead of fixing the "@" and the "#" and using "d_pc". At least on
Amithlon it was done that way. The "d_pc" keyboard was used and there was
exactly the same problem with the "#" character and this one got fixed. I
am not sure whether in the d_pc keymap or the emulator itself. But if in
the d_pc keyboard I would have expected it is also fixed in the d_pc
keymap from the Euro Update I compiled back then.

Well IMHO this all requires more thought.

Karl about KME... I might look into this for a quick and dirty fix, but in
the end IMHO there should be a proper solution.

Regards,