[uae] Re: How to get these characters on a PC keyboard under UAE

  • From: Richard Drummond <evilrich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 08:42:55 -0500

Hi Martin

On Wednesday 15 September 2004 06:17 am, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > Interesting. Keycode 51 is also produced by the backslash key.
>
> not on a german keyboard. The backslah on a german PC keyboard is at AltGr
> (right Alt) and the key next to the "0" labeled "? ß \" with keycode 20.

I was referring to the scan code not the key symbol. Code 51 on PC keyboards
under XFree86 (which is backslash on US and UK keyboards) is the key that's
typically next to the right shift or Enter key. This gets translated to key
code 13 on the Amiga by UAE - which your Amiga keymap driver should map to
whatever symbol is on that key. As far as I can see, this is exactly how
WinUAE behaves.

So this doesn't work with the regular 'd' keymap driver? What Amiga key code
do you expect for that key? (Key code not ASCII symbol).

> Karl about KME... I might look into this for a quick and dirty fix, but in
> the end IMHO there should be a proper solution.

I'm not sure that there is a "proper" solution. ;-)

The fact is that PC keyboards and Amiga keyboards are different animals
(especially for international variants) and there's no way to produce a
default mapping that will please everybody.

Thus leaving it up to the individual user to tailor the mapping to suit their
needs is probably the best course of action for now. Alas, this isn't
terribly friendly to do right now. That's why it might be useful to have an
AmigaOS keymap driver that works out of the box with German keyboards.