[uae] Re: Better handling of the project

  • From: Giorgio <sukko.ml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 16:22:03 +0100

2010/1/29 Andrew 'Truck' Holland <truck@xxxxxxxxxx>

> - alternately, you may argue that by using project management, it may all
> move
> faster.  It might.  You'll have to sell this to the developers.

That's the point, exactly. I agree with all that you said (I am a coder,
too, not a manager, BTW!), but I also reckon that something like an
integrated project workspace à la Sourceforge is absolutely crucial for a
community-maintained project like P-UAE should be. Or, at the very least,
there should be a central SVN/CVS repository. How can I contribute patches
if I don't even have the most current sources? Ivo says he will have a hard
time with his repository merging his changes with Mustafa's future ones, and
that is perfectly understandable, don't you think?

What I am basically trying to say is that, with the current lack of some
form of shared project management, it is impossible to contribute to P-UAE
without conflicting with someone else's changes. And what about submitting
"useful bug reports", where should it be done? Not everybody loves mailing
lists. And then, how to maintain traceability of changes?

If a developer doesn't see the necessity of such a thing, that's because he
is not very prone to working with a community, or he just wants to have
total control over the project, IMHO.

Beware: This does not mean that I want to contribute patches. I would love
to, but I don't have enough Amiga knowledge. I would just like to make life
easier for those who do, like Mark Lenders.

G.