[triadtechtalk] Re: Re System Mechanic Chuck

  • From: ChasM49@xxxxxxx
  • To: triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 10:55:09 EDT

> My apologies to the list...
Bruce.
          basically that is what I have been saying... if you have a problem
dont add a new program until you fix  the problem first.... I to ascribe to
not having all thoise "gotta Have" goodies and find that in most instances
all those addons create more problems than what they are worth.... and I do
not claim to be any sort of expert
 but just have some time on these toys for quite a long time.... my first one
was a monster 8080 with a whopping big 16kb ram... lol... power suppply was
bigger than the main board and every part I soldered in myself..... and again
thru the years I have learend to always first revert back to the OS functions
first before adding more problems.... to make an anology... buy a brand new
car and then go out and buy all sorts of add ons made by some other company
and the car stops functioning as it did... manufacturer will not honor the
warranty.. is that the manufacturers fault or the addons... usually have to
remove the addons before any sort of diagnostics can be preformed.... same as
all the addons to an operating system.. take it back to basics.... and in
many cases it simply can be repaired by reinstalling the operating system...
in this case win98... and it is a recommended procedure... as it will
generaly rewrite those damaged files if any ... in Rebeccas case she wanted
to remove gator.... and windows instructions simply say use the add/remove
function in the control panel.. not to go out and obtain any other sort of
addon.... if people would stop the sales pitch for a "gotta have" would make
things lots less complicted and getting off target of which I admit I am
guilty of in my adamant "dissing of addons".... I have treid many of these
myself over time and they all have disappointed me dramatically.... as a
winxp beta tester I am sure you are familiar with the go round Micro Soft and
Kodak have just gone thru about MS not wanting to include Kodak files in xp..
why? the darn files from kodak interfere with the OS is all.... and if you
have no use for kodak imaging then why should one be forced to install
it...the same with Real Networks players.... if an addon messes up an
operating system it is the fault of the addon not being written compatibly
with the operating system.. simple to the point and factual.... nothing
less.... in my mind thye create more problems than what they are worth....and
if one wants to leanr the winodws system there are many resources available
in print besides the help files in windows that in many cases are a bit
difficult to follow.. I have a couple of excellant books on the windows
system and am constantly refering to them... but in all cases thye aolways
seem to be saying use the system as it was designed..... not go out and buy
"xxxxx" to fix this problem...... just me is all... Chuck.. in Ok