[triadtechtalk] Re: Internet Speed Boosters

  • From: avbsantos@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2003 11:10:56 -0800 (PST)

Brian, my friend, I've tried a few(dozens).

They all attempt to tweak the MTU - MRU settings, and
The "I don't know hooo" settings as well, to try to
achieve an optimization of Redmond's (micro$oft's) code.

Of all with a free trial period of time or that were
freeware, I never found any worthwhile. I never paid
for any of them, though. I even tried the one included
in System Mechanic, but did not find any improvement.

Too many variables to tweak, see?

But there IS a tweak that I have applied to many a PC
which use a 56K winmodem and it has always visibly &
tangibly improved the transfer times, virtually
speeding up your modem.

When I normally connected at 50,003 Kb as with my Dell
with a PentiumIII, I applied it too. I don't think you
can connect any faster than that, anyway, at least I've
never been able to do so via DUN(dial-up-network), but
yet the fetch time was improved, visibly.

This one I obtained from "wecoyote" before his web-site
went defunct, and he designed it to be applied to
Windows 95/98/ME. Ken Frazier(wecoyote), the designer,
also had one for Win 2K-NT, but alas, I never
downloaded that one. I wish I had.

This is the same fellow that had the "no super cookie"
tweak for WinAmp mentioned in a LockerGnome Daily,
remember him? We discussed this subject on this list,
it seems ages ago. Perhaps it's still in the TTT
archives, though I tried searching for other subject
matter that should've been there but was not able to
access it.

You can't find NetTweak_9x_dialup.inf anymore from
http://home.kscable.com/wecoyote/. I've tried googling
for a copy of it elsewhere, but it was fruitless.

Any way, here is the script:

;
; NetTweak_9x_dialup.inf
;
; February 5, 2002
;
; NetTweak_9x_dialup.inf is for Windows 95/98/ME - Not
for Windows NT/2000/XP
;
; Written by Ken Frazier - email:
wecoyote@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
;
;
; For those of you using Netscape, you need to save the
link or file to your hard drive.
; Once the file is downloaded to a folder, open Windows
Explorer and navigate to the folder.
;
; To Install any INF file, right-click on the filename
and when the Windows context menu
; pops up, choose "Install" from the menu.  That's all
there is to it.
;
; Remember to reboot your system after install.
;
;
; For those people who have had their "Install" removed
from their context menu, I've written
; a batch file that can be run by all Windows versions
to perform the install.
; You can download the utility from:
;
; http://home.kscable.com/wecoyote/InstallINF.bat
;
;
;
; NOTE: Use at your own Risk
;
;
;
; NOTE: Win95/95a/95b users should also download
Winsock 2 for enhanced
;       IP capabilities that are already in Windows
98/98SE
;
;

[Version]
signature=$CHICAGO$

[DefaultInstall]
DelReg=Delete_Old_Tweaks
AddReg=Add_NetTweaks

[Delete_Old_Tweaks]
HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\MSTCP,DefaultRcvWindow
HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\MSTCP,DefaultTTL
HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\MSTCP,PMTUDiscovery
HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\MSTCP,PMTUBlackHoleDetect
HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\MSTCP,Tcp1323Opts
HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\MSTCP,SackOpts
HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\MSTCP\Parameters,MaxDupAcks
HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\MSTCP\Parameters,GlobalMaxTcpWindoSize
HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\MSTCP\Parameters,GlobalMaxTcpWindowSize
HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\MSTCP\Parameters,GlobalMaxRcvWin
HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\NetTrans\0000,MaxMTU
HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\NetTrans\0000,MTUSize
HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\NetTrans\0000,PerformRouterDiscovery
HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\NetTrans\0001,MaxMTU
HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\NetTrans\0001,MTUSize
HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\NetTrans\0001,PerformRouterDiscovery
HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\NetTrans\0002,MaxMTU
HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\NetTrans\0002,MTUSize
HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\NetTrans\0002,PerformRouterDiscovery
HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\NetTrans\0003,MaxMTU
HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\NetTrans\0003,MTUSize
HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\NetTrans\0003,PerformRouterDiscovery
HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\NetTrans\0004,MaxMTU
HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\NetTrans\0004,MTUSize
HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\NetTrans\0004,PerformRouterDiscovery
HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\NetTrans\0005,MaxMTU
HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\NetTrans\0005,MTUSize
HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\NetTrans\0005,PerformRouterDiscovery
HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\Net\0000,IPMTU
HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\Net\0001,IPMTU
HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\Net\0002,IPMTU
HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\ICSharing\Settings\General,InternetMTU

[Add_NetTweaks]
HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\MSTCP,DefaultRcvWindow,0,"32767"
HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\MSTCP,DefaultTTL,0,"48"
HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\MSTCP,PMTUDiscovery,0,"1"
HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\MSTCP,PMTUBlackHoleDetect,0,"0"
HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\MSTCP,Tcp1323Opts,0,"0"
HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\MSTCP,SackOpts,0,"1"
HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\MSTCP\Parameters,MaxDupAcks,0x10001,"3"
HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\MSTCP\Parameters,GlobalMaxTcpWindoSize,0x10001,"65535"
HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\MSTCP\Parameters,GlobalMaxTcpWindowSize,0x10001,"65535"
HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\MSTCP\Parameters,GlobalMaxRcvWin,0x10001,"65535"
HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\NetTrans\0000,PerformRouterDiscovery,0x10001,"0"
HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\NetTrans\0001,PerformRouterDiscovery,0x10001,"0"
HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\NetTrans\0002,PerformRouterDiscovery,0x10001,"0"
HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\NetTrans\0003,PerformRouterDiscovery,0x10001,"0"
HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\NetTrans\0004,PerformRouterDiscovery,0x10001,"0"
HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\NetTrans\0005,PerformRouterDiscovery,0x10001,"0"
HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\Net\0000,IPMTU,0,"0"
HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\Net\0001,IPMTU,0,"0"
HKLM,System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\Net\0002,IPMTU,0,"0"

Copy the info contained here between the "---"
separator lines verbatim, then paste it into your
notepad as it is. Give it the name given to it by its
owner, i.e., make sure you save it as an "inf" file,
preferably as the owner wanted it:
"NetTweak_9x_dialup.inf", then right click it with your
mouse & install it.

You should be able to notice a change after rebooting
and reconnecting via your ISP.

Of course, you will have saved a "before" copy of your
registry, thus you will be able to revert to it if need
be. I've never had to, but just in case, eh?

Are you using COP 2.2 by Plato for backing up your
registry? Have you applied Mike Linn's StartUp Monitor
and Script Defender(from AnalogX), or Script Sentry?
Doing so will liberate you from browser hyjackings and
other malware.

Anyway, that's what I do. Never had a hijack, or a
"worm", now, this new "SARS" from China, well....,
that's another subject. If only thay had piped up about
it sooner, but you know how communists like to make
"fools" think that their societies are "utopian". ;-)

BW, armando. 8)

To me God is Truth and Love; God is ethics and
morality; God is fearlessness.
~Mahatma Ghandi

------------------------

On Wed, 02 Apr 2003, brianwc@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Subject: [triadtechtalk] Internet Speed Boosters
>

> Does anyone who has, or had  a  dialup connection
found
> a good internet speed booster they can recommend.
> I was looking at the ZD Net page and they  lists over
> 300 downloads!
> It would be nice to know if these really work and if
> they do to find a free one if there is one that is
> effective.
>
> Armando and Joe, this seems it  in your area of
> interest. I would think you many have tried a number
of

href="http://mail.peoplepc.com/jump/http://downloads.zdnet.co.uk/downloads/search/1001-2155-0.html?cat=2155&amp;sort=downloads";>http://downloads.zdnet.co.uk/downloads/search/1001-2155-0.html?cat=2155&sort=downloads</a>