[triadtechtalk] Re: DeFrag Time THREE DAYS!

  • From: "cabehogan" <cabehogan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 19:46:19 -0500

> > > 10 MEG DRIVE
> > > 183MEG FREE
> >
> > > IS THAT WHY IT TOOK SO LONG? > You may wish
to try this one:

> > http://www.powerdefrag.com/
> >
> > .......clarence.......

> Hi Clarence  ... I couldn't get this one to set
up on my machine. I had 2
> files that were older than mine come up and then
it couldn't open some other
> file. Tried twice, but no go. A few weeks ago,
someone posted that the
> defrag in some version of windows worked much
better on win98SE than the
> original version. I got it and installed it and
indeed it did the job
> awwwaaaaaayyyyyyy faster. Someone posted the
download site, but I didn't
> keep it. Would someone repost the site for the
faster MS defrag program?
> Thanks in advance.
> BTW, I'm still waiting on a reply regarding my
Fdisk problem and the missing
> drive.

Here is another way that is fasssssssst and you
should be able to get it to work with no problem!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Have you noticed that occasionally Windows 98's
Disk Defragmenter has trouble completing a defrag
operation and must restart multiple times? When
this happens, it's usually because there is some
program running in the background that writes to
the disk. In the worst case, Disk Defragmenter
might never be able to complete its job because of
all the interruptions.

Fortunately, we've discovered a hidden technique
that will allow you to bypass all these
interruptions. Let's take a closer look.

To begin, access the \Tools\Mtsutil folder on your
Windows 98 CD-ROM. Then, locate and right-click
the Defrag.inf file and select the Install command
from the shortcut menu. When you do, the install
operation adds the special command, Defrag /All to
the RunServicesOnce key in the Registry.

Now, restart Windows 98. When you do, Disk
Defragmenter will run before anything else loads
from the registry, the StartUp folder or the
Win.ini file. It will then be able to complete the
defragmentation operation uninterrupted.

If you'd like to be able to defragment your hard
drive regularly using this technique, you can copy
the Defrag.inf file to a folder on your hard
drive. That way you can access it quickly and
easily the next time you want to perform a
defragmentation operation.

Or you can put it on a floppy as I did and just
load it from the floppy when you want to defrag
and it does it's thing as it loads into the
Registry for a one time defrag only!

.......clarence.......