[triadtechtalk] Re: Backing up question

  • From: RPRKOCVGGPED@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 14:07:17 -0700

From: ElisabethM

> --from "ElisabethM" <elisam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>--
> --reply triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>

> ***  Triad Tech Talk
> (www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/webpage?webpage_id=triadtechtalk) ***
>

> Hi members,
>
> Some experts recommend a registry as well as a User.dat and
> System.dat files
> back up prior to installing a new prog. The question is where do
> I find the
> User.dat and the Sys.dat files?  I am told they are in the C:\Windows
> folder,
> but I can't find them.
>
> Can anyone, please,  tell me what's the easiest way to find these little
> darlings?  I am
> running Win98SE.
>
> Greetings
> ElisabethM

User.dat and system.dat _are_ the Registry.

If you want to back them up, here's what you do. Note that they might not
fit on a floppy.

First, go to Start, Run. Type Command. Click OK.

Type:

cd c:\windows
attrib user.dat -s -h -r
attrib system.dat -s -h -r

Now you can see and copy them.

BTW, if you have to log into your computer to use it, you may have part of
your user.dat in a special folder, one per user. So, if you need to tell the
computer who you are to get in, ask for more help.

David Nasset, Sr.