[triadtechtalk] Re: Keep defences up!!

  • From: RPRKOCVGGPED@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 14:01:05 -0700

From: RPRKOCVGGPED@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

> --from RPRKOCVGGPED@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> --reply triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>

> ***  Triad Tech Talk
> (www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/webpage?webpage_id=triadtechtalk) ***
>

> From: "Howard" <bint@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> > --from "Howard" <bint@xxxxxxxxxxxx>--
> > --reply triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> >

> > ***  Triad Tech Talk
> (www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/webpage?webpage_id=triadtechtalk) ***
> >
> <snip>
> > I have no idea how this happened as I can't recall opening ANY mail
> in win98SE, but there you go. Normally a very cautious person with
> anti virus protection, I let my guard down for a short time and now
> I'm paying for it. Keep your virus definitions up to date and your
> anti virus running!!
> >
> > Howard
> > bint@xxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> Code Red doesn't infect via email. It infects via the Win2k IIS
> (Internet Information Service), which runs web pages from your
> machine. For some reason, Win2k enables IIS by default, even if you
> don't have any web pages to display. This means that if you install
> Win2k, but don't specifically turn off IIS, then when you connect to
> the Internet, you can be infected by Code Red or the Nimda.A worm.
>
> David Nasset, Sr.

OOPS!

Nimda.A _does_ infect via email. And IIS. And shared directories. And
viewing webpages in Internet Explorer. And probably other methods, as well.
While most viruses have one method of infection, this one goes around your
house and checks all your windows, doors, the doggy door,....

David Nasset, Sr.