[triadtechtalk] Re: This message didn't go through???

  • From: Howard <bint@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 10:22:16 -0700

Robert & Joan Jamrog wrote:

> Howard:
> fdisk can only create 2 partitions. if you want  3 drives you must create a
> primary partition and an exttennded partition. then create and forrmat 2
> logical drives in your extended partition.
> hope this helps
> Rob

Thanks to all who have sent info and advise on partitioning my HD into 3
drives. I now have the 3 drives I
wanted and finally completed this without loosing the info on drive C.
Sometimes my brain creates a lot more work for me than it needs too. That was
the case here. Simply put for
all who helped, I was creating and making active drive C. I then went on to
create the extended partition, and
here is where I was making my mistake. When creating the extended partition, I
was typing in 50% of the total
space thinking that would leave the other 50% for the 3rd drive. I finally
figured out my mistake thanks to
Rob's advise above as well as David's advise earlier. I also gained a lot of
Fdisk knowledge from other
materials sent in by various other list members. I finally realized that I had
to allow 100% for the extended
partition and THEN split that into 2 parts to give me a total of 3 drives.
DUHHH!!! Thanks again to all who
helped!!

Howard
bint@xxxxxxxxxxxx