[tor] Re: Migration to 2host? FreeBSD on current host?

  • From: Ilja Hallberg <torservers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: torservers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 18:30:59 +0200

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 03:32:58AM +0200, Moritz Bartl wrote:

> >Regarding the NIC. What happens if you shut down all but one exit for
> >a week? Will that single virtual server reach a higher average throughput?
>
> A little, but not as much as four nodes combined. So if I reduce the
> number of logical nodes, we get less traffic.

Have we discussed what card and driver we are using? Are we using an Intel
card with the igb driver? Several of the cards for the igb driver are
multi-queue cards with at least 4 queues, which seems to be forwardable to
separate cores in the machine. This has supposedly been included in the
mainline kernel for a while.

If we are running a cheaper card, then the following looks like what
we're interested in. If I'm not misinformed it's included in the
2.6.35 kernel, so it might not yet be stable. On the other hand, the
article indicates that Google has been running it for a while. But for
our purposes I'd say that an Intel based card is the only option.

http://lwn.net/Articles/362339/

Ilja