[tor] Re: Migration to 2host? FreeBSD on current host?

  • From: grarpamp <grarpamp@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: torservers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2010 17:34:38 -0400

>  FreeBSD does that differently. Afaik actually only make sense when you go
> tickless with the Kernel which FreeBSD hasn't done. So their way of reducing
> networking load is by polling the card instead of having it send thousands of
> interrupts. It works with igb and ixgb, I'm not sure about e1000.

Yes, they implemented polling for many NIC's. And toggleable on the
fly with ifconfig. Hz is adjustable if need be. There are also kernel,
loader and sysctl bits. And things like interrupt coalescing and
loadable microcode. All depends on the
NIC... Check the man pages, driver source/readme's and kernel config.

> the current FreeBSD Stable Release doesn't work with Intel NICs _again_

I can't confirm. Given that Intel is one of the top three or so most
popular and performant nics, I highly doubt RELENG_8_1_0_RELEASE
shipped unable to pass packets.

Either way, if you cvsup or cvs co the driver to RELENG_8, you
will get a commit as of 10 days ago, as opposed to the last one 4 months ago.
And you might still be able to drop in a version from Intel's site too.