[tor] Migration to 2host? FreeBSD on current host?

  • From: Moritz Bartl <moritz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: torservers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 16:27:13 +0200

Hi,

Let me give you an update what I was working on lately:

- Abuse
I had a six hour conversation by mail with Midphase about another abuse complaint last week. Someone's Gmail account got hacked/accessed through our exit. In the end, I think I convinced the support guy, and he said he'll press on finally getting custom WHOIS for our IP range.

- Network load
What I've been trying to fix for lots and lots of hours is that still network interrupts are only handled by one CPU core. That core is maxed out, and I guess this is why our throughput is currently limited to ~210 Mbit/s. I've talked to Debian people, to kernel people, and some Linux geeks I know. Several people tried to help, and we tried a lot of different things, nobody has been able to solve this problem. One remaining suggestion was to dump Debian and try FreeBSD instead. I have no experience with BSD (and the combination with Tor), so if anyone of you does, let me know. It might not help at all, but I think it is worth a try.

- Migration to 2Host
If we cannot solve the problem, we could migrate to 2host. They have pretty good offers at
http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=971493
Which is basically what we're getting now from 100tb.com for $200, but for $150. They were very responsive in regard to Tor exit hosting, and from the beginning offered custom WHOIS. Their data center seems to be FDCservers, and FDC - like Softlayer - don't like abuse complaints very much...

- Registering a club
I am on the hunt for a postal address for founding an official club ("eingetragener Verein"). This brings additional legal protection, and shows to all donators that we really mean it. I'll pay the fees myself, so your donations will not be burned for this. An address somewhere in Torstraße, Am Tor oder Torgasse would be awesome, so if you know someone let me know... :)

What do you think? How should we progress? What do you think needs to be done to attract more attention of donators? Anyone want to give the website an overhaul?

Moritz