[tor] Re: Migration to 2host? FreeBSD on current host?

  • From: Moritz Bartl <moritz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: torservers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 03:32:58 +0200

Hi,

Sorry for the late answer.

I wonder why fejk4 lags behind more than the others? Me and fejk diskussed
whether this has to do with some routing or configuration issue regarding
the name, but we also thought it might have to do with the entry port.
Torservers[234] uses 443 and 8080, but fejk4 uses 81.

I was planning to reply differently, but when I look at the current situation at torstatus.all.de now there seems to be a correlation here: Both blutmagie port 443 nodes push more traffic than the ones on 8080 and 22. Same for us, 8080 - and even more 81 - get a lot less use.

I'm not sure if it really attracts more traffic overall, but it might get them more evenly distributed, so I changed fejk4 and torserversNet4 to 443 now as well (on other IPs). Let's see what happens.

Regarding the NIC. What happens if you shut down all but one exit for
a week? Will that single virtual server reach a higher average throughput?

A little, but not as much as four nodes combined. So if I reduce the number of logical nodes, we get less traffic.

We are currently filtering more than some of the other exits. Can the
filtered ports, e.g. smtp, make the torservers less attractive for traffic?

Another maybe. As far as I can tell there are no real studies into that. My personal guess is that there still is/should be more demand for ports we do allow though.

Moritz