[tn-dragonflies] Re: Help with dragonfly ID

  • From: Rconnorsphoto@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-dragonflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 17:35:01 -0400 (EDT)

**post from Marion that got bumped:

Rick,

I agree with Richard's comments, and it's not just the size  that would =
preclude Piedmont Clubtail, it's the proportions.  Those  can often be =
hard to tell from a photo - angles vary and all that; but your  clubtail =
appears to have the typical bulky thorax, small head, and long,  slender =
abdomen of the Gomphurus clubtails, of which Splendid is one.  Piedmont =
should have more the appearance of a short, chunky, bigger-headed  =
clubtail. But, again, often difficult to discern in a  photo.

Splendid Clubtail is not uncommon in my area, and I have numerous  photos =
of them with varying "degrees of incompleteness" of the anterior  lateral =
thoracic stripe on the G. lineatifrons page of my  website:

=
http://www.mamomi.net/Gomphidae/Pages/Splendid_Clubtail_-_Gomphus_lineatif=
rons.html

Marion  Dobbs
9 Bridlewood Lane
Rome GA  30165
ecurlew AT  mac.com
http://www.mamomi.net
http://mamomi.smugmug.com=20

"Everywhere  I go I'm asked if I think the university stifles writers. My =
opinion is  that they don't stifle enough of them."_Flannery O'Connor

Marion  Dobbs
9 Bridlewood Lane
Rome GA  30165
ecurlew AT  mac.com
http://www.mamomi.net
http://mamomi.smugmug.com/

Science is  wonderfully equipped to answer the question "How?" but it =
gets terribly  confused when you ask the question "Why?"_Edwin Chargaff

In a message dated 6/25/2013 4:19:05 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
sunfish0501@xxxxxxxxx writes:

Thanks, I'll look into those references. If traffic is slow, I have one
more for id. I took this several years ago in Kingsport. I tentatively
identified it as Carolina Saddlebags, but I now see it's possible this might
also
be a Red Saddlebags. Is there enough info in this one photo for an id? I
can only locate this one photo. I'll just give a link to my Flickr
photostream  rather than gum up the listserve with images. Here is the link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ricksphotos0501/9128757663/.

Rick

On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 5:10 PM, <_Rconnorsphoto@aol.com_
(mailto:Rconnorsphoto@xxxxxxx) > wrote:

Odonata Central, hosted at U. of Texas, Austin, is the clearing house  for
records kept by Dragonfly Society of the Americas (DSA) it's here:
http://www.odonatacentral.org/
They keep up with county records. Check them out, and register to  submit
records if you intend to do that.
Yes, this is fun stuff! And it's a natural progression for birders and
butterfly watchers to get interested in Odonates. Good books are Dennis
Paulson's Dragonflies and Damselflies of the East, and Giff Beaton's
Dragonflies
and Damselflies of Georgia and the  Southeast. Dragonflies Through
Binoculars is still a  good one, but you will need a reference for damselflies
to go
with  that. Damselflies of the Northeast by Ed Lam is a great little  book
with beautiful illustrations of all (so far) of our species of  damsels, look
on Amazon for this is out of print. You can still get copies  directly from
Ed.

Enjoy, and thanks for posting, there hasn't been much traffic here yet
this year.

Richard

In a message dated 6/25/2013 2:54:20 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
_sunfish0501@gmail.com_ (mailto:sunfish0501@xxxxxxxxx)  writes:

Thanks so much, Richard. I'll look it up. Are there county checklists  for
odonates in Tennessee online anywhere? I've seen your great photos.  I'm
going to be out as much as possible this summer photographing  dragonflies and
I'm sure I'm going to come across many I don't know. In  fact, I know very
few as I've spent most of my time outdoors as a birder.  Pretty exiting
starting out with something you don't know crap about  again!

Rick

On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 3:43 PM, <_Rconnorsphoto@aol.com_
(mailto:Rconnorsphoto@xxxxxxx) > wrote:

Rick,

To me, it looks most like Splendid Clubtail (Gomphus lineatifrons).  The
yellow marks on the club are right; the anterior line on the side of  the
thorax looks thin but complete, which according to the  literature it can be,
but is usually interrupted. Piedmont  Clubtail is similar, and has been seen
in Hawkins Co., it is smaller  than Splendid. Can't judge size from the
photo, but most likely Splendid  Clubtail ... splendid!
Look that one up and see if you agree.

Richard Connors
Nashville

In a message dated 6/25/2013 2:03:01 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
_sunfish0501@gmail.com_ (mailto:sunfish0501@xxxxxxxxx)  writes:

Hello,

I took this dragonfly photo at Phipps Bend in  Hawkins County, Tennessee in
June, 2009. The habitat was on a dirt  road running alongside a large pond
in bottomland habitat. I was  wondering if anyone could assist with
identification?  Thanks.

Rick

--
Rick Phillips