[tn-dragonflies] Re: Help with dragonfly ID

  • From: Rconnorsphoto@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-dragonflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 17:10:20 -0400 (EDT)

Odonata Central, hosted at U. of Texas, Austin, is the clearing house for
records kept by Dragonfly Society of the Americas (DSA) it's here:
http://www.odonatacentral.org/
They keep up with county records. Check them out, and register to submit
records if you intend to do that.
Yes, this is fun stuff! And it's a natural progression for birders and
butterfly watchers to get interested in Odonates. Good books are Dennis
Paulson's Dragonflies and Damselflies of the East, and Giff Beaton's
Dragonflies
and Damselflies of Georgia and the Southeast. Dragonflies Through Binoculars
is still a good  one, but you will need a reference for damselflies to go
with that.  Damselflies of the Northeast by Ed Lam is a great little book
with  beautiful illustrations of all (so far) of our species of damsels, look
on  Amazon for this is out of print. You can still get copies directly from
Ed.

Enjoy, and thanks for posting, there hasn't been much traffic here yet this
 year.

Richard

In a message dated 6/25/2013 2:54:20 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
sunfish0501@xxxxxxxxx writes:

Thanks so much, Richard. I'll look it up. Are there county checklists for
odonates in Tennessee online anywhere? I've seen your great photos. I'm
going  to be out as much as possible this summer photographing dragonflies and
I'm  sure I'm going to come across many I don't know. In fact, I know very
few as  I've spent most of my time outdoors as a birder. Pretty exiting
starting out  with something you don't know crap about again!

Rick

On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 3:43 PM, <_Rconnorsphoto@aol.com_
(mailto:Rconnorsphoto@xxxxxxx) > wrote:

Rick,

To me, it looks most like Splendid Clubtail (Gomphus lineatifrons). The
yellow marks on the club are right; the anterior line on the side of the
thorax looks thin but complete, which according to the literature  it can be,
but is usually interrupted. Piedmont Clubtail is  similar, and has been seen
in Hawkins Co., it is smaller than Splendid.  Can't judge size from the
photo, but most likely Splendid Clubtail ...  splendid!
Look that one up and see if you agree.

Richard Connors
Nashville

In a message dated 6/25/2013 2:03:01 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
_sunfish0501@gmail.com_ (mailto:sunfish0501@xxxxxxxxx)  writes:

Hello,

I took this dragonfly photo at Phipps Bend in  Hawkins County, Tennessee in
June, 2009. The habitat was on a dirt road  running alongside a large pond
in bottomland habitat. I was wondering if  anyone could assist with
identification? Thanks.

Rick

--
Rick Phillips