[tn-dragonflies] Re: Help with dragonfly ID

  • From: Rconnorsphoto@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-dragonflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 15:43:45 -0400 (EDT)

Rick,

To me, it looks most like Splendid Clubtail (Gomphus lineatifrons). The
yellow marks on the club are right; the anterior line on the side of the
thorax  looks thin but complete, which according to the literature it can be,
but is usually interrupted. Piedmont Clubtail is similar, and has been seen
in Hawkins Co., it is smaller than Splendid. Can't judge size from the photo,
 but most likely Splendid Clubtail ... splendid!
Look that one up and see if you agree.

Richard Connors
Nashville

In a message dated 6/25/2013 2:03:01 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
sunfish0501@xxxxxxxxx writes:

Hello,

I took this dragonfly photo at Phipps Bend in Hawkins  County, Tennessee in
June, 2009. The habitat was on a dirt road running  alongside a large pond
in bottomland habitat. I was wondering if anyone could  assist with
identification? Thanks.

Rick

--
Rick Phillips