[TN-Butterflies] FW: NABA BUTTERFLYCOUNTS.ORG Submitted Count Report

  • From: Bart Jones <bjones7777@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Bob Ford <robert_p_ford@xxxxxxx>, Cameron Frechette <clfrechette@xxxxxxx>, <darelhess@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Donna Ward <wardd9@xxxxxxxxx>, Jim Johnson <bubo1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Bill Wade <flwades@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Mary Baker <marybaker476@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2011 22:08:25 -0500

My first summer count was held today in Decatur County.  The numbers were about
average as far as species seen, individuals were down, mainly because the
Eastern Tailed-Blue and especially the Pearl Crescent numbers were low.  One
bright spot was Coral Hairstreak had a decent showing.  After the storm came
through at 3:00, I bet I didn't see any more than 10 butterflies afterwards, so
the numbers really only reflect about 5 hours of good counting.

As a heads up, my next count will be June 25 at Reelfoot Lake.  Details will
come later.

Bart Jones
Memphis, Shelby County

From: naba-count@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: bjones7777@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2011 19:49:47 -0700
Subject: NABA BUTTERFLYCOUNTS.ORG Submitted Count Report

Please do not respond to this automated message. Emails sent to this address
are not monitored
Here's the count report that you have submitted on 6/5/2011.

Region 13
Appalachians (KY, TN, WV)
William Haley, Regional Editor

1. Decatur Co., TN. Yr. 6, 35.6278°, -88.0338°, center at Alvin C. York bridge
on U.S. Hwy. 412 over the Tennessee R. in Perryville. See 2006 report for
habitats. 05 June 2011; 0930-1800 hrs; sun AM 76-100%, PM 51-75%; 83-95°F; wind
3-10 mi/hr. 1 observer in 1 party. Total party-hours 8.5; total party-miles on
foot 3. Observers: Bart Jones (2047 Higbee Ave., Memphis, TN, 38104;
bjones7777@xxxxxxxxxxx).
    Pipevine Swallowtail 6, Zebra Sw. 3, E. Tiger Sw. 14, Spicebush Sw. 17,
Clouded Sulphur 3, Orange Su. 20, Cloudless Su. 5, Sleepy Orange 1, Coral
Hairstreak 11, Gray Ha. 4, E. Tailed-Blue 70, 'Summer' Spring Azure 3, Am.
Snout 2, Variegated Fritillary 1, Gr. Spangled Fr. 31, Silvery Checkerspot 3,
Pearl Crescent 10, Question Mark 2, Am. Lady 4, Red Admiral 2, Com. Buckeye 2,
Hackberry Emperor 10, Tawny Em. 1, Carolina Satyr 1, Silver-spotted Skipper 16,
Hoary Edge 1, N. Cloudywing 2, Horace's Duskywing 3, Wild Indigo Du. 1, Fiery
Sk. 3, Tawny-edged Sk. 1, Crossline Sk. 4, N. Broken-Dash 2, Little Glassywing
2, Sachem 1, Dun Sk. 5. Unidentified: Swallowtail sp. 2. Total 36 species, 269
individuals. Field Notes: Thunderstorm moved through count circle around 15:00
lowering butterfly numbers seen afterwards. Major flooding occured in early May
which seemed to have impacted Satyr and Pearly-eye species.