[TN-Butterflies] Clifton Bend Spring Count Results

  • From: Bart Jones <bjones7777@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <emgc205@xxxxxxx>, <scottbrownphd@xxxxxxxxx>, <kentfothergill@xxxxxxxx>, <bkormobile@xxxxxxxxx>, <zlongwing@xxxxxxx>, <d.paschall@xxxxxx>, <nancygarden@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <bill618@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <marybaker476@xxxxxxxxx>, <krispy96907@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <rita@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <clfrechette@xxxxxxx>, <wardd9@xxxxxxxxx>, <robert_p_ford@xxxxxxx>, <ajtcorax@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <kjchilds@xxxxxxxxx>, <bubo1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 22:55:55 -0500

An absolutely perfect weather day accompanied us on the Clifton Bend Spring
Count Saturday.  I'm not sending the usual report from the NABA online count
submission as I'm waiting to hear back from a few people on whether we saw a
couple of Dreamy Duskywings or were all of them Sleepy Duskywings (I've had
votes for both, but I'm leaning towards all Sleepys and am reporting it that
way for now).  Here are the results: Pipevine Swallowtail - 3Zebra Swallowtail
- 14Eastern Tiger Swallowtail - 16Spicebush Swallowtail - 1 Falcate Orangetip -
49Clouded Sulphur - 5Orange Sulphur - 3Cloudless Sulphur - 2Sleepy Orange - 4
Juniper Hairstreak - 30Henry's Elfin - 2Red-banded Hairstreak - 4Eastern
Tailed-Blue - 193Spring Azure - 4 Variegated Fritillary - 2Pearl Crescent -
54Common Buckeye - 1Question Mark - 1Mourning Cloak - 9Red Admiral - 1Goatweed
Leafwing - 5Gemmed Satyr - 2 Silver-spotted Skipper - 6Sleepy Duskywing - 6 (2
possibly Dreamy)Juvenal's Duskywing - 34Horace's Duskywing - 5Pepper and Salt
Skipper - 4 Unknowns:  Hairstreak sp. - 7,   Dark Swallowtail - 1,   Duskywing
sp. - 18,   Satyr sp. - 4 Totals:  Species - 27   Individuals - 490 There were
no Cobweb Skippers observed.  This is concerning because the numbers seem to be
dropping at Carroll Cabin Barrens and the population may be in trouble. Thanks
again to all those who helped on the count. Bart JonesMemphis, Shelby County