[tn-bird] Re: Hummers and Pishing

  • From: mgreene@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 16:29:24 -0500

I have heard that what the butterflies are attracted to is the droppings
from the birds who are attracted by the pishing and/or owl tape.

Mark Greene
Trenton, TN

                      "TH Cumbie"

                      <thcumbie@wnclink        To:
<tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                      .com>                    cc:

                      Sent by:                 Subject:  [tn-bird] Re: Hummers
and Pishing
                      tn-bird-bounce@fr

                      eelists.org

                      07/31/2002 04:22

                      PM

                      Please respond to

                      tn-bird

Greetings Again,

I have to take an occassional break from the tedious very responsible job
of
completing some session meeting minutes this afternoon.  Imagine my reward
to find such risk taking birders challenging all the positives and
negatives
of pishing, taping, & banding.  Lightened my tired mind considerably.

Now when I see this immediate email, I recall  times past when a birding
group would be pishing and suddenly there were butterflies which seemed to
be  responding
everywhere.. all sizes and colors, particularly in the fall.  These
colorful
light
airy creatures would float around us, above us and even toward us..the
group
would
wonder why and we have even wished warblers would follow suite.. and, yes,
hummers have checked us out, too.

Where are our butterfly experts.... are we imagining that butterflies are
responding to pishing and taping??? And I wonder if others have experienced
this? Perhaps it is a common phenomena???

Tess
Buladean, NC