[tn-bird] Re: Hummers and Pishing

  • From: James Brooks <comeback@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 15:36:14 -0400

I think all birders make far too much noise in the field for their own
good, and I plead guilty as charged.
It's not just pishing and tapes, it is talking, laughing  and just plain
displaying poor field craft.
For many experienced birders pishing has become a reflex rather than a
considered technique, and it gets louder and more alarming as more years
are spent in the field. Perhaps it is related to failing hearing.
When done, it should be done softly and the particular noise used should
match the conditions and the birds sought. Basic pishing, to me, is
imitating a mildly (if there is such a thing) disturbed House Wren, with
drawn out notes. Short staccato notes are made by any number of birds
when danger, such as when an arboreal snake, is present.
Audrey Hoff once taped a snake mobbing scene on Martinique, Lesser
Antilles,  involving White-breasted Thrasher, Trembler, and other island
endemics. She replayed the tape on other islands and in the U.S. and
attracted equally large numbers of birds - the disturbance call seems to
be the same for Bananaquits and Adelaide's Warblers as for Carolina
Chickadees. The Adelaide's incidentally, seems to be attracted by human
conversation. We'd be yacking, the birds would appear, we'd fall silent
and they'd disappear until we started talking again.
When Americans try to bird in Eurasia and Africa, where virtually all
birds are hunted, we begin to learn something about field craft, and
this is the area where the Brits are light years ahead of us. They often
wear Camo, set up their scopes while cross-legged on the ground with
their cars behind them so they don't break the skyline, speak in
whispers, and generally behave as hunters have learned to do the world
over.
Compare that to what you see on the typical field trip. BTW, white hats,
t-shirts and the lot are alarm colors in nature, particularly around
shorebirds.
James Brooks
Jonesborough, TN