[TN-Bird] Golden Eagle project update

  • From: Scott Somershoe <Scott.Somershoe@xxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 02:47:38 +0000

Just a little update as several of our tracked birds are on the move and doing
some very interesting things.

Hytop - he followed the SAME forested corridor through Indiana and over the
last 10 days used similar areas in Michigan before crossing into the UP and
into Ontario yesterday.  He didn't send any data today (for the first time in
weeks) so he may be off the cell grid and onto a breeding territory.  We may
not hear from him until November now.  He should attempt to breed this year,
likely for the first time, as he is 6 yrs old.  Now is the time breeding adults
get on territory.

Letson - our new bird from near Franklin Co., TN, spent about 2 weeks going
back and forth between the woods SW of Center Hill Dam to the plateau west of
Fall Creek Falls SP but actually in Warren and Sequatchie Co. and flying over
and near McMinnville several times, much to the chagrin of Susan and Mac
McWhirter who could have seen him from their farm last week!  He also was VERY
close to the Lake Karen that several folks have birded lately chasing the
lingering Red-necked Grebe.  You would have been able to see him from Lake
Karen!

Monroe- this is the new bird from Unaka Mountain that went to WV and back in 5
days in Feb.  He went off the grid for several days and turned up in southern
New York!  He went from Roan Mountain, TN to southern NY in 4 days.

Our new bird Sand Rock from Franklin Co., TN spent a week or so on the Daniel
Boone NF in KY, but on the 20th he flew down OVER Davidson Co., over Beaman
Park, skirting Bells Bend and spent the night on Cheatham WMA (much like our
Hytop bird did in February).  He then went south and west and flew over Shelby
Forest WMA today and crossed into Arkansas!  It'll be very interesting to see
what he does from here.  One additional interesting note is he followed the
forested corridor north of Nashville until he caught up with Cheatham WMA.  I
have included a zoomed in map of the specific route in the Nashville area. I
guess no one added Golden Eagle to their Davidson Co. bird list on the 20th :)

Jericho -  After being VERY close to several wind farms in WV (one GPS point
was basically over a turbine, but she was at 1000m and likely riding a
thermal), she spent 10 days or so in SW PA, but is now in north central PA.

See the pages for our individual Golden Eagles on the TN Watchable Wildlife web
site.  I have included maps and details on their movements.
http://www.tnwatchablewildlife.org/GoldenEagles.cfm

If you read this far through my post and live in the Knoxville area, I hope to
see you at the KTOS meeting on April 2 when I present my Golden Eagle project
program!

Cheers,
Scott Somershoe

State Ornithologist