[TN-Bird] Gibson County Lake

  • From: Mark Greene <greenesnake@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-bird@freelists org" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2013 14:27:15 -0700 (PDT)

Saturday, August 10
Gibson County Lake
Gibson County

I received a call from a fishing friend about a flock of big white birds out at
the lake so my 10 year old daughter and I drove out there to investigate. I
immediately spotted the birds resting in the shallows and my hunch was correct,
they were Am. White Pelicans. We had several interesting birds on and around
the lake:

Am. White Pelican - 8
DC Cormorant - 2
Great Egret - 3
Black Tern - 8
Canada Goose - 3
Bald Eagle - 2
Purple Martin - 6

There was a large group (30+) of vultures, mostly Turkey Vultures with a few
Blacks mixed in, coming off of a roost. We also had very cooperative looks at a
Great Blue Heron having a fish dinner and a couple of brightly colored American
Goldfinches.

Good birding,

Mark Greene
Trenton, TN