[TN-Bird] Gibson County Lake

  • From: Mark Greene <greenesnake@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 May 2012 14:32:54 -0700 (PDT)

May 7, 2012

Gibson County Lake,
east of Trenton, Gibson County

I drove by Gibson County Lake this afternoon and had 2 Common Loons out in the
lake. One was still in basic plumage and the other was molting into breeding
plumage. I saw 4 large shorebirds feeding in the shallow water and so I got out
the scope and noted 4 Willets feeding, preening, and sleeping. 2 Caspian Terns
were flying around the lake, calling and feeding, and after a few minutes they
came in and sat down with the Willets in the shallow water.

Other birds of note in Gibson County in the last week:

In my yard: Yellow Warbler, Tennessee Warbler, Palm Warbler, Blackpoll Warbler,
Rose-breasted Grosbeak, Blue Grosbeak, Indigo Bunting, Eastern Kingbird,
Dickcissel, Chuck-will's Widow. I still have a couple of Song Sparrows and
White-crowned Sparrows around.

I had my first Mississippi Kite for the season last Wednesday, May 2nd, in the
Forked Deer River Bottoms, along Hwy. 188 near the Crockett County line.

Good birding,

Mark Greene
Trenton, TN
Gibson County