[tinwhiskers] AW: [RoHSUSAPushback] Connection failure in the super collider

  • From: "Klaus Reindl" <klaus-reindl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <RoHSUSAPushback@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Leadfree'" <Leadfree@xxxxxxx>, "'TechNet'" <TechNet@xxxxxxx>, <tinwhiskers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 08:21:53 +0200

John,

I can imagine what are you expecting:

The connection failing had been done with Pb-free solder, such as SAC type.

I am not sure. Work on the Super Collider might have started before RoHS
becoming effective.

Besides, the whole application is exempt from it.

Finally, considering the really low temperatures in the collider ring
tunnel,

Tin Plague may be the problem one should have considered possible.

Anyway, as you say, an 8D report on this gigantic solder joint issue-costing
Millions-

would be utmost interesting.

Possibly, with the power of the Group behind you, you could get a copy?

Best regards, Klaus

Klaus G. Reindl

rRC

Reliable Reliability Consulting

Seitenhalde 108/2

D 72793 Pfullingen

xx49 7121 799533

klaus-reindl@xxxxxxxxxxx

  _____

Wonder if we will ever get a failure analysis on this. Interesting that the
whole thing is kept super cold:

Link is here:

http://news.
<http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081006/ap_on_re_eu/eu_particle_collider>
yahoo.com/s/ap/20081006/ap_on_re_eu/eu_particle_collider

John Burke

(408) 515 4992

JPEG image