[tinwhiskers] Re: AW: [RoHSUSAPushback] Connection failure in the super collider

  • From: "Bob Landman" <rlandman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tinwhiskers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 12:46:57 -0400

I do not understand how CERN came to be exempt (if indeed it did) from  no-lead
RoHS.  How did they get an exemption?  Scientific instrumentation is not exempt
from RoHS. I spent a good deal of my life in physics research and I don't
believe we ever got exemptions for any environmental regulations.

As you say, all the components they would use are today lead-free so even if
they wanted to not comply with RoHS, they would inadvertantly do so.

As for soldering down in the trench, there are warmer sections of the magnet
systems that are, I'm sure, soldered with conventional solder.  The question
is, what kind?

Bob Landman
H&L Instruments,LLC