[tinwhiskers] Re: AW: [RoHSUSAPushback] Connection failure in the super collider

  • From: "Mark Vaughan" <mark@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tinwhiskers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2008 09:50:18 +0100

Not silly, I buy an awful lot of kit from ebay, especially test kit. It has
allowed our firm to grow significantly with kit we could never have afforded
before. Some is junk, but much of it just needs a recal and is good to go.

Just before the ban I needed some large electrolytic caps for a big servo
supply on an internal CNC machine (control system so exempt!, and repair to
old system). Rather than £70 each, I got 9 for £60. Only one good thing I've
got out of ROHS.

What amazes me is the amount of leaded components that on one day became
toxic scrap, and will never see one day's operation in their life. How
wasteful is that for the environment. There's so much old kit being scrapped
with lead in it, they'd have been better to bring in a transitional ban.

Never mind that?s the logic of Gov't officers absolutely zero.

Regs Mark

Dr. Mark Vaughan Ph'D., B.Eng. M0VAU
Managing Director
Vaughan Industries Ltd., reg in UK no 2561068
Water Care Technology Ltd, reg in UK no 4129351
Addr Unit3, Sydney House, Blackwater, Truro, Cornwall, TR4 8HH UK.
Phone/Fax 44 (0) 1872 561288
RSGB DRM111 (Cornwall)