[THIN] Re: VMWare Server Sizing

  • From: "Ron Oglesby" <roglesby@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 20:34:11 -0600

Just a note on this=20
>eDirectory and Zen works will be integrated into the farm as well so I
=3D can use Zen for the scripted build side of things.

Why? If you are talking about the BASE Citrix OSs. I mean VMware can use
what they call "Golden masters" really images and its s simple file copy
to bring up a new VM server. Hardware is not an issue so its no big deal
at all (like when using real hardware you script installs to handle
that.

That is unless you are talking of application deployment. Then it can be
a different story. Of course I generally see ZEN as a problem for app
deployment on terminal servers since it is geared toward a single user
desktop and not a multi user server.

ANYWAY, My 2 cents, dump them if you want

First Cent: Take a LONG HARD look from a cost benefit perspective if
VMware is going to save you any money here or if it is being done
because "we think it will save money and is cool".=20
I have done two looks at this for large farms and on the primary silo
side of things it almost never adds up to save any money (remember
VMWare, makes use of all hardware for under utilized servers, or test
environment etc. When you run the servers at 90 or 100% and are
processor /memory bound you are still paying a 2-3% penalty using ESX
and adding a substantial cost in dollars per processor.  If you are
having to factor in DR as in a real hot site then VMware still doesn't
factor in to save money since you have to buy and maintain that hardware
anyway. Its not like in that case you are porting to unknown hardware.

Second Cent: The real problem with a huge farm (100s of thousands of
users would be the largest farm in the world, and Citrix ,at the current
FR level, doesn't want you to go too much beyond 400 servers in a farm).
Anyway the huge farm problem is NOT OS deployment or hardware its Too
many silos, Patch management, monitoring and application
deployment/updates.=20
In the project we are working on now (900 server environment split
between datacenters) Automated installs are easy (for sure with HP and
RDP). It's the whole life patch management and application deployment.=20
If App deployment is something you need to look at (and I think it is)
you should try out softricity and see what it gets you.=20

Just some thoughts. I am not against VMware I just hate to see people ad
another layer of complexity and cost just because they get an idea that
they have too for DR or any other reason.

Ron Oglesby
Senior Technical Architect
Microsoft MVP, Windows Server=20
=20
RapidApp
Office 312.372.7188
Mobile 815.325.7618
email roglesby@xxxxxxxxxxxx
=20

From: thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On =
=3D
=3D3D
Behalf
Of Tony Lyne
Sent: Sunday, February 22, 2004 1:04 PM
To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [THIN] VMWare Server Sizing

Guys,
=3D3D20

Im in the middle of designing a Citrix farm for a client and it seems =
=3D
=3D3D
the
VMWare subject has been thrashed around here quite a bit. But one thing
=3D
=3D3D
can find is the number is VMware sessions that should be run per server
before serious performance issues are hit.

=3D3D20

The farm will be running Linux then Vmware on that which will be =3D3D
launching
multiple VMWare Win2k3 server sessions with MFXPa/e.=3D3D20

=3D3D20

If they will only be doing the basic work like MS Office and other =3D3D
office
applications, typically from experience how many VMware sessions would
people expect to get per server before they notices a performance hit?

=3D3D20

The server kit will be DL360G3's with 4GB RAM and mirrored disks.

=3D3D20

I was expecting to start with each server running 2 VMware sessions each
=3D
=3D3D
and
see how that goes.

There will most likely be vertical application servers as well.

=3D3D20

Tony Lyne

Senior Systems Engineer=3D3D20

Computerland Central=3D3D20

P O Box 1470=3D3D20

PALMERSTON NORTH

Telephone (+64) 06 3537300

Facsimile (+64) 06 3566800

Mobile (+64) 0274 720696

E-mail Tony.Lyne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Internet http://www.computerland.co.nz =3D
<http://www.computerland.co.nz/>=3D3D20

CAUTION: This e-mail message and accompanying data may contain =3D3D
information
that is confidential and subject to privilege. If you are not the =3D3D
intended
recipient, you are notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or
copying of this message or data is prohibited. If you have received this
e-mail in error, please notify me immediately and delete all material
pertaining to this e-mail. Thank you.

=3D3D20

=3D3D20

=3D3D20

=3D3D20

This weeks sponsor Vizioncore, Inc.=3D3D20
--> vc-iMonitor - Performance Monitoring, Control & Reporting
--> vc-iControl - Desktop & Start Menu Management & Reporting=3D3D20
--> vc-iMapper - Drive, Printer & COM Management & Reporting=3D3D20
http://vizioncore.com/products.html=3D3D20

This weeks sponsor Vizioncore, Inc.=3D20
--> vc-iMonitor - Performance Monitoring, Control & Reporting=3D20
--> vc-iControl - Desktop & Start Menu Management & Reporting=3D20
--> vc-iMapper - Drive, Printer & COM Management & Reporting=3D20
http://vizioncore.com/products.html=3D20

This weeks sponsor Vizioncore, Inc.=20
--> vc-iMonitor - Performance Monitoring, Control & Reporting=20
--> vc-iControl - Desktop & Start Menu Management & Reporting=20
--> vc-iMapper - Drive, Printer & COM Management & Reporting=20
http://vizioncore.com/products.html=20