[THIN] Re: VMWare Server Sizing

  • From: "Alexander Danilychev" <teknica@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 00:25:31 -0800

I agree. My personal preference for VMware is development and prototyping.
My performance experience with VMware -- 20% loss (I have noticed Ron quoted
2%).

True, VMware environment is more forgiving, however it cannot supplement a
sloppy system management -- nicely tuned physical box is the way to go. And
again, as Ron had mentioned, patch management and application rollout tools
are not a problem at all.

There is another case when I would consider VMware for production -- remote
sites (really remote). With VMware you will get a very well integrated
solution with minimum of additional tools required for management.

VMware can be used for hot spares (this is hypothetical, based on VMware
whitepapers ;)
Imagine you have a bunch of servers that you have imaged to VMware (VMware
has a migration tool for physical hardware). I am talking about as many
images as VMware box (single box or a few VMware boxes) can accommodate on
it?s hard drives. And all these systems are in a suspended state. (For the
argument sake, we are assuming the data is somewhere else ;)

Now, let's say server ABC goes down -- you will be able to jumpstart this
server in it?s VMware incarnation in under 2 minutes with a remotely
triggered script, and users will hardly notice. And you can do it for every
server that you emulated on VMware; assuming of course, majority (99%) of
your servers are running.

PS. Just a note: VMware availability numbers are excellent!

ALEX