[THIN] Re: VMWare Server Sizing

  • From: "Alexander Danilychev" <teknica@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 03:45:39 -0800

Hi,

Regarding getting "servers more scalable":
Although VMware does help with scalability regarding memory utilization
through virtual memory sharing you will get performance hit due to
additional layer between your OS and your physical hardware especially CPU.

Regarding your comment that VMware "CAN run hyperthreading":
This is true if you are talking about VMware Workstation or GSX server and
is not true for high performance solution that we are discussing -- ESX
server. Check the latest version 2.0.1 release notes at
http://www.vmware.com/support/esx2/doc/releasenotes_esx201.html.

ALEX

>From: "Thomas, Jeremy" <Jeremy.Thomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [THIN] Re: VMWare Server Sizing
>Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 12:10:29 +0100
>
>Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but...
>
>I thought that the main advantage of using VMware with Terminal Servers w=
>as that you would make the servers more scalable by allowing more users t=
>o log on to the same hardware before you reach the Registry Size Limit (2=
>00-250 users). As this limitation has gone with Windows 2003, why use VMw=
>are.
>
>The other reason would be so you can run lots of vertical servers with di=
>fferent applications and just a few users on each, but I don't think you =
>want to do that...
>
>As the RSL issue has gone, then the servers are able to support as many u=
>sers with 2 VM TSs running per machine as they are with a base TS running=
>=2E You still have 4Gb, 2 processors (that you CAN run hyperthreading on)=
>, and the same disks. Why on earth would you want to consider an extra la=
>yer of complexity on these servers?
>
>For a 5000+ user farm, you need to get your design checked and approved b=
>y MS, Citrix and the Hardware supplier. Uptime and supportability should =
>be very important, and if you intend scaling it much further, it would ce=
>rtainly become a showcase project for NZ. Therefore, you'd want to get yo=
>ur suppliers involved ASAP. Adding VMware as well is an added layer of co=
>mplexity.
>
>"I was expecting to start with each server running 2 VMware sessions each
>and see how that goes."
>Don't rely on "see how it goes" - test and KNOW just how far you can go. =
>Mind you, quite how you do that needs a seperate thread.
>
>Regards,
>
>Jeremy Thomas

Say ?good-bye? to spam, viruses and pop-ups with MSN Premium -- free trial
offer! http://click.atdmt.com/AVE/go/onm00200359ave/direct/01/