[THIN] Re: SV: (OT)Advice to buy new server

  • From: Jeff Malczewski <jeff.malczewski@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 11:39:09 -0500

Another vote for IBM.  I had a hard drive fail in a mirror two weeks
ago..  I simply called them up, said "I have a bad hard drive, here's
the FRU"..  The following morning there was one sitting in reception
for me when I got in..  I unplugged the bad one, plugged in the new
one, threw it in the box, slapped on the pre-paid label, and the
server was good as new in the time it too to rebuild the mirror.

About 6 months ago I was in Atlanta working on systems in our office
down there, and a motherboard went bad.  Called IBM support, that box
had 24x7x4 on it, so a tech showed up at 11:30 PM, the part was
couriered over, arrived just before the tech, and the tech stayed
there until the system was back up and 100% functional.  He also
allowed me to utilize some of his upgrade CDs to flash BIOS on other
boxes before he left..  He stayed with me until 2:30 in the morning by
the time we re-configured the on-board RAID controller (it was a 1U
with a built-in RAID1 controller)..

IBM may be a bit costlier than the other brands, but I'll never use
anything else.  We have all IBM in all three sites, about 60 servers
in total, plus a bunch of laptops and most of our desktops.